- This event has passed.
Guidepost Gallop and Guidepost Trot
April 17 @ 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30pm on Wednesday, repeating until 17/09/2019
The start for Wednesdays GG/GT ride is the BRIERDENE PUB for all riders at 18:30.
Same route, three options:
GG (Guidepost Gallop) 20+ average with Rob Bolton
GT18 (Guidepost Trot) 18+ average with Suzanne McArdle
GT16 (Guidepost Trot) 16+ average with @Mick Chappel
This ride is aimed at those wanting a FASTER ride, and there are three average speed target groups. Please bear in mind that an average speed is over the full distance, so it includes faster and slower bits. The targets may move upwards slightly depending on the group but they’re unlikely to move downwards.
There are NO BACK MARKER for this ride and apart from the regrouping points, the rides will not wait for people who fall off the back, so you’re advised to study the route above and know how to get home if you get separated from the group.
If you do get really separated from the group, don’t despair – it’s happened to all of us many times before. Just get home safe, and come back again next time.
1. Aiming to stay together as a group, straight up the coast past the Broadway Chippy, past both ASDAs, over the railway lines, to the right turn into Furnace Bank at Bebside.
2. At top of Furnace Bank climb, cross the road with care and brief ENFORCED REGROUP HALT on the other side of the road. This ROAD IS VERY BUSY and it frequently takes time for a whole group to cross safely.
3. Full steam ahead to Bombersund, Stakeford, Guidepost, Bedlington, Horton By Blyth via Bedlington Bonk South, with right turn BEFORE The Horseshoes pub, to the old fire station at Shankhouses.
4. Brief ENFORCED REGROUP HALT at old fire station Shankhouses
5. Whole group 2 mile best effort as group chain or individual SPRINT on Keel Row Sprint segment towards Seaton Delaval. This is a busy commuter road with patchy tarmac repairs – SINGLE FILE please, unless performing a clean overtake manoeuvre with care.
6. Quick REGROUP HALT on left at the roundabout at end of Keel Row Sprint.
7. Slick but manageable group pace back to RV via The Gimp Segment (but with no individual attempts at the segment).
As this is an attempt at trying to strike a balance between keeping people together whilst not having too many stops. There are bound to be some unanticipated issues. I’d welcome feedback in that regard. Overall, it’s a nice route with some nice long stretches.